Phone Replacement Terms & Conditions
What Is Phone Replacement?
U.S. Cellular's Phone Replacement Program is included on certain Belief Plans and is a combination of a wireless handset service contract and an insurance contract issued by Assurant Solutions1 that will provide Customers on eligible Belief Plans2 with a replacement phone in the case of accidental damage, mechanical breakdown, warranty claims, or lost or stolen phones.
When Coverage Begins And Ends
- Coverage of a phone begins once a completed outbound call from the phone is made when on an eligible Belief Plan and the Customer's Phone Upgrade Timer has not expired. A Phone Upgrade Timer begins when the Customer purchases a phone from U.S. Cellular at a promotional price and activates the phone on U.S. Cellular's network.
- A call is completed when the U.S. Cellular switch records the call for billing purposes. Assurant will be notified when the outbound call is completed.
- Coverage ends when the Phone Upgrade Timer expires and indicates that the Customer is eligible to purchase a phone at a promotional price. The Phone Upgrade Timer generally expires eighteen (18) months after the phone is purchased. If a Customer uses U.S. Cellular Belief Points to accelerate the Phone Upgrade Timer, the Phone Upgrade Timer period will expire in less than 18 months.
- Coverage ends when the Customer has had three (3) fulfilled claims before the Phone Upgrade Timer expires.
- Coverage ends when the Customer is no longer on an eligible Belief Plan.
- Coverage ends when the Customer's account has been suspended.
- Coverage ends when the Customer's account has been cancelled.
- Therefore, the "Coverage Term" is usually eighteen (18) months, but under various circumstances, it may be less.
Customers need not file or separately sign up for the Phone Replacement Program; U.S. Cellular will report enrollment information necessary to obtain coverage from Assurant Solutions when the Customer signs up for an eligible Belief Plan.
- Any phone with an equipment serial number (ESN or MEID) which is activated on U.S Cellular's network under the cellular telephone number (CTN) for which the claim is being fulfilled, unless the handset equipment is U.S. Cellular-owned (for example, loaner phones).
Property Not Covered
- Any U.S. Cellular-owned equipment such as loaner phones or demonstration phones.
- While loss, theft, or damage to batteries and chargers standing alone are not covered under Phone Replacement, the Customer will be provided a battery and a charger when a handset is replaced with a model with an incompatible battery or charger.
- A maximum number of one (1) fulfilled lost or stolen claim will be allowed during each Coverage Term.
- A maximum number of three (3) fulfilled claims will be allowed for damage, mechanical failure, and/or warranty claims, if the Customer has no lost or stolen claims fulfilled during the Coverage Term.
- A maximum number of two (2) fulfilled claims for accidental damage, mechanical breakdown, and/or warranty claims, if Customer has one (1) lost or stolen claim fulfilled during the Coverage Term.
- The Phone Replacement Program covers all perils covered under a manufacturer's warranty for the devices that have been purchased through U.S. Cellular. Customers enrolled in Phone Replacement may choose to submit a claim to the respective manufacturer for resolution or receive a replacement phone through the Phone Replacement Program. The manufacturer's warranty only applies for the original phone (ESN/MEID) that the Customer purchased. Replacement phones provided through the phone Replacement Program do not carry a manufacturer warranty. If a claim is submitted and fulfilled under Phone Replacement, it will be counted toward the limit of three (3) maximum claims.
- In any event, there is a maximum of three (3) fulfilled claims during the Coverage Term.
- Claims will be counted by date of loss and service line ID that fall within the Coverage Term.
- Customer must wait forty-eight (48) hours after coverage begins before reporting a claim to U.S. Cellular.
- Customer must report all claims to U.S. Cellular no later than ninety (90) days after the incident.
- Customers may bring equipment to any U.S. Cellular retail store or contact U.S. Cellular Customer Service at our toll-free number, 1-888-944-9400 or, if your phone is operable, dial 611 from your U.S. Cellular phone.
- If the replacement is shipped direct to the customer or the customer's designated agent, the Customer must ship the broken phone back to U.S. Cellular's designated location to be received within fifteen (15) days. If the phone is not returned within the time limit, the Customer will be charged the undiscounted retail price of the phone.
The following deductibles will apply:
- $100 for any lost or stolen claims.
- $0 for accidental damage or mechanical breakdown, and warranty claims.
Can Customers Cancel The Phone Replacement Part Of An Eligible Belief Plan?
- Customers man cancel the Phone Replacement Program coverage if they like, but there will be no refund to the Customer (because Phone Replacement is included as part of the eligible Belief Plan) and there will not be a reduced price for the eligible Belief Plan.
- Customers who do not want Phone Replacement may also change to a non-eligible Belief Plan at any time.
- In California, the insurance licensee is United States Cellular Corporation, d/b/a USCC Insurance Services, 8410 West Bryn Mawr Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60631, California insurance license # 0F49716.
The fire and casualty insurance broker appointed by an Assurant Solutions insurance company to USCC Insurance Services is Thomas K. Cloetingh, 676 E Swedesford Rd., Suite 300, Wayne, Pennsylvania 19087-1631, California insurance license # 0B03654.
- The toll-free number of the California Department of Insurance Consumer Hotline is 1-800-927-HELP (4357).
- Under California Insurance Code Section 1758.66, USCC Insurance Services notifies Customers that:
- the purchase by the Customer of insurance is not required in order to purchase communications equipment or service;
- the insurance policies offered by Assurant Solutions and USCC Insurance Services may provide a duplication of coverage already provided by other insurance policies covering the Customer;
- the endorsee USCC Insurance Services (and the sales representatives of U.S. Cellular) are not qualified or authorized to evaluate the adequacy of the Customer's existing insurance coverages, unless any such person is licensed pursuant to California Insurance Code Article 3 (commencing with Section 1631); and
- the Customer may cancel the insurance at any time. If the Customer cancels any unearned premium will be refunded in accordance with applicable law.3
1. Assurant Solutions is a trade name for a group of affiliated companies (collectively "Assurant") that provide service contracts and/or insurance contracts. Depending on the state in which a Customer resides, the service contract is provided by Federal Warranty Service Corporation, Sureway, Inc., or Assurant Service Protection Inc. and the insurance is provided by American Reliable Insurance Company or American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida. When Customers enroll in an Eligible Belief Plan, they will receive an enrollment package, with full terms and conditions, directly from Assurant. The terms and conditions of the actual service contract and insurance contract will control over the summary in this brochure and are included below.
3. However, there may be no unearned premium required to be refunded under applicable law, or, if there is an unearned premium, such a refund may be payable under applicable law to U.S. Cellular, as the group policyholder or purchaser, rather than to the Customer.
AMERICAN BANKERS INSURANCE COMPANY OF FLORIDA
[11222 Quail Roost Drive, Miami, FL 33157-6596 (305) 253-2244]
WIRELESS PROTECTOR LEVEL 3 COVERAGE
Accidental Damage means an unexpected and unintentional external event that results in "physical" damage to the insured property. The damage shall not be foreseeable and shall be beyond the control of the insured.
Computer Virus means any code intended to contaminate or destroy data. It includes but is not limited to any of the following: self-replicating viruses, worms, Trojans and logic bombs. It does not mean defect or programming errors, such as the inability of a program to process any naturally occurring calendar date.
Mechanical and Electrical Breakdown means the failure of a covered part due to faulty workmanship or faulty materials supplied by the original manufacturer or distributor when operated according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Nuclear Hazard means any nuclear reaction or radiation of any radioactive contamination from any other cause.
Preexisting Condition means failures or defects which the certificateholder should have reasonably known to be present prior to the effective date of this certificate.
Property Covered: We will cover the certificateholder's insured property shown on the Declarations Page.
Covered Causes of Loss: We will provide coverage to the certificateholder's insured property against direct, sudden and accidental loss or damage caused by:
- fire or lightning;
- windstorm or hail;
- explosion or smoke;
- riot or civil commotion;
- aircraft and vehicles;
- marine perils while on ferries and/or in cars or transfers in connection with land conveyances;
- volcanic eruption;
- vandalism or malicious mischief,
- burglary; or
- mysterious disappearance.
Property Not Covered: We will not pay for loss to:
- property held in inventory or held as stock in trade; and
- property used for any commercial purposes.
- any antenna connected to or used with the insured property.
Causes of Loss Not Covered:
- We will not pay for loss to insured property caused by or resulting from:
- depreciation or obsolescence;
- corrosion, rust or mold;
- preexisting condition, wear and tear, gradual deterioration;
- failure to follow manufacturer's maintenance recommendations;
- error or omission in design or system configuration, faulty construction or any original defect in the insured property;
- delay or loss of market, loss of income or interruption of business;
- intentional and/or dishonest acts by the certificateholder, or anyone else with an interest in the insured property, or the certificateholder's employees or authorized representatives or anyone entrusted with the insured property;
- voluntary parting with the insured property by the certificateholder or anyone else to whom the certificateholder has entrusted the item if induced to do so by any fraudulent scheme, trick, device or false pretense;
- war, including undeclared or civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution; warlike act of a military force, including action in hindering or defending against an actual or expected attack, by government, sovereign or other authority using military personnel or other agents;
- nuclear hazard;
- repair or service, including installment, of insured property and error in machine programming or instructions to the machine;
- illegal trade or confiscation by any governmental authority;
- a computer virus;
- accidental damage; or
- mechanical and electrical breakdown.
- Regardless of the cause of loss, we will not pay the following additional costs incurred as a result of any loss:
- extra expenses, programming, data reconstruction, data recovery or program installation or reconfiguration; or
- costs which are recoverable under any product warranty or extended warranty.